Clover Aardklop Nasionale Kunstefees
If you want to experience the worst and the best of Afrikaans culture, Aardklop held annually in Potchefstroom, is a very good place to start.
There was excellent, innovative theatre like Nicola Hanekom’s site specific play, Babbel and Christiaan Olwagen’s Ubu and the secrecy bill and Woza Andries!?. There was spelbounding acting from young actors like Marlo Minnaar in …Af, Coba-Maryn Wilsenach in Medea and Wessel Pretorius in Ont- and Ubu and experienced actors like Cobus Rossouw in Kind Hamlet and Sandra Prinsloo in Liefde, Anna.
It was great to see so many photography exhibitions on the visual arts program. By presenting such varied and quality photography exhibitions at a national art festival it is evident photography as an art form is evolving in South Africa.
My top 5 experiences at Aardklop
1. Seeing Babbel again in a different setting.
2. die see playing at Snowflake.
3. Every other evening at Snowflake.
4. The Festival artist Daniel Naude’s exhibition.
5. Seeing young talent producing creative theatre.